Skip to main content

Paul Weller & Adele - Hub Session


Paul Weller and Adele tell us about their unique session for 6 Music

05 December 2008 - Paul Weller and Adele linked up at the Maida Vale studios last night (4 December) for a special 6 Music session.

The pair sang Weller's You Do Something To Me together and then a version of the song Need Your Love So Bad.

Weller told us why they decided to perform that song: “It was Adele’s idea, which was a very good choice as well. It’s an old blues tune, which most people probably know from Fleetwood Mac but I think it goes beyond that.”

However, it could have been quite different, as Adele told 6 Music: “Initially I chose I’m Gonna Make You Love Me by Diana Ross and The Supremes with the Temptations.

“I hadn’t really heard it for a good couple of years and I got home from Amsterdam and thought, ‘Oh God, that Temptations part is too high, I don’t think Paul will be able to sing it.

“And then Diana Ross comes in. You know how there’s certain artists that can get away with talking on the song, saying like, ‘Hey Baby’. I’m not one of them.”

A fan of Adele


Adele admitted that she was apprehensive when it came to meeting Weller.

“I was really nervous,” she said. “I went to go meet him at the first Brixton Academy show he did last Monday but straight away, he was so normal.

“Not that I thought that he would be awkward or anything, but he’s just the nicest man. He made me a cup of tea so straight away and put me at ease.”

"I’m a massive fan of Chasing Pavements. It was one of my big records of last year, so I was more than happy to do it."

And the former The Jam frontman explained that he didn’t have to think hard about collaborating with the young, Mercury nominated, soul singer.

“I’m up for working with anyone really, who is any good,” said Weller. “It was suggested to me and I’m a massive fan of Chasing Pavements. It was one of my big records of last year, so I was more than happy to do it.”

Weller also said he was excited to be recording at the BBC studios at Maida Vale: “These studios are so great and they’ve got so much history and such a good sound in them. It’s nice to have a proper studio to work in and we’ve got a string quartet.”

The session is being broadcast in George Lamb’s show between 10am and 1pm today (5 December) and you will be able to listen again to that for a week after.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Paul Weller At Westonbirt Arboretum - Set List & Pics!

Courtesy Of Little Miss Funky Soul! Cheers!!

New Unofficial Forum

A new Unofficial Weller chat forum has been created in place of the recently-closed Official Forum. Click below to visit. Have a good week!

Short "22 Dreams" Album Preview At Rolling Stone.com!

Album Preview: Paul Weller Recruits Noel Gallagher, Thunderstorms to Share His “22 Dreams” “You get to this stage in life where you say ‘I’ve done everything that I can do,’” says Paul Weller. As he passes the half-century mark, Weller easily could have returned to his old stomping grounds, whether it was the mod-punk of his first band the Jam or the pop leanings of the Style Council. But rather than reliving past glory, Weller spent the last year recording 22 Dreams, the most expansive and experimental album of his career. “I was conscious when I walked into the studio that I wanted to do something different. I didn’t want to make As Is Now Part 2,” Weller tells Rock Daily. “There was this mentality where it was like, ‘Let’s try anything that comes into your mind.’” Weller sequestered himself in his country studio, recruited some famous Britpop friends like Oasis‘ Noel Gallagher and Blur’s Graham Coxon and spent hours improvising with his band. The result was 22 Dreams, a genre-leapin