Skip to main content

Paul Weller On Unlikely Collaborations!

From Spinner.com
by: Kenneth Partridge

Paul Weller has been candid about his distaste for shoegaze -- the droning, distortion-rich strain of guitar pop he referred to as "rubbish" in a recent interview. Funny, then, that his new album, 'Wake Up the Nation,' out now, features contributions from Kevin Shields, guitarist for Irish genre champs My Bloody Valentine.

"I liked some of his stuff," Weller tells Spinner. "I wasn't a massive fan of that shoegaze stuff. I thought it was a bit boring. I got to know his work through the stuff he did with Primal Scream. He's a very unique player. He's got his own sound, and his own style and way of thinking. His instincts contradicted where I'm at."

Indeed, theirs isn't the most obvious of musical team-ups. Whereas Shields specializes in abrasively loud, textured playing, Weller, the mastermind behind mod-punk favorites the Jam and the suave R&B outfit Style Council, tends to be more of a pop traditionalist, working within a classic '60s rock-soul framework.

"He just came in with his bag of tricks, really," Weller says of Shields, whose signature guitar sounds are all over the track '7&3 Is the Strikers Name.' "He's got the effects pedals and stuff. He just plugs those in and plays and we see what we like. It wasn't too much deliberation: 'Yeah, that works,' you know? We went through quite a few takes, and we just kind of edited that stuff down afterward and picked what worked. He's just a really nice fellow."

Weller says he enjoys working with artists whose methods and musical reference points run contrary to his own.

"I've never encountered many disasters," Weller says, citing eccentric English songwriter Robert Wyatt as his all-time favorite collaborator.

"He asked me to come play on [1997's 'Shleep'], and I never would have thought I'd play on Robert Wyatt's records," Weller says. "That really blew my mind. That opened me up to lots of musical possibilities, and since then, I've played on all his records. So it was great."

"People pigeonhole you and think of you as doing one style of music" he adds. "But with my taste, I really am quite eclectic. I am quite open-minded. Even the most unlikely pairings -- they can work, if you're a good musician. Anything is possible, really."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Paul Weller At Westonbirt Arboretum - Set List & Pics!

Courtesy Of Little Miss Funky Soul! Cheers!!

New Unofficial Forum

A new Unofficial Weller chat forum has been created in place of the recently-closed Official Forum. Click below to visit. Have a good week!

Short "22 Dreams" Album Preview At Rolling Stone.com!

Album Preview: Paul Weller Recruits Noel Gallagher, Thunderstorms to Share His “22 Dreams” “You get to this stage in life where you say ‘I’ve done everything that I can do,’” says Paul Weller. As he passes the half-century mark, Weller easily could have returned to his old stomping grounds, whether it was the mod-punk of his first band the Jam or the pop leanings of the Style Council. But rather than reliving past glory, Weller spent the last year recording 22 Dreams, the most expansive and experimental album of his career. “I was conscious when I walked into the studio that I wanted to do something different. I didn’t want to make As Is Now Part 2,” Weller tells Rock Daily. “There was this mentality where it was like, ‘Let’s try anything that comes into your mind.’” Weller sequestered himself in his country studio, recruited some famous Britpop friends like Oasis‘ Noel Gallagher and Blur’s Graham Coxon and spent hours improvising with his band. The result was 22 Dreams, a genre-leapin